A Strong Advocate For The Vietnamese Community

What to do when you get into an accident with a drunk driver

On Behalf of | Jul 27, 2022 | Car Accidents |

If you live in California and were injured in a motor vehicle accident that was caused by a drunk driver, you may be entitled to compensation. However, the steps you take after the accident are crucial.

Seek medical attention immediately

If you’re able, get yourself to a safe place and seek medical help. Even if you don’t think you’re injured, it’s important to be checked out by a medical professional as soon as possible. When your treatment gets complete, get a copy of your medical records and keep them in a safe place.

Gather evidence

If you can, take pictures of the injuries and damages to any property. If there are any skid marks on the road, take pictures of those as well. It’s also essential to get the contact information of any witnesses who may have seen the accident. This may be helpful if you need to prove that the other driver was at fault.

Call the police

The police officers will create a report that can be used as evidence in your case. The other driver may try to talk you out of calling the police because they don’t want to get in trouble for drunk driving. However, if you don’t have a police report, it may be more difficult to prove that the other driver was at fault.

Contact your insurance company

You’ll need to contact your insurance company to file a claim, especially if the motor vehicle accident involved your vehicle. Be careful not to give them any more information than you need to. If the other driver’s insurance company contacts you, don’t give them a statement without speaking to your own insurance company first. On top of that, ensure you keep the deadlines for filing a claim with your insurance company in mind.

If you get injured, you may be able to seek compensation for your medical expenses. This includes any hospitalization, surgery, medication, and rehabilitation costs that are related to the accident. You may also seek compensation for lost wages if you had to miss work because of your injuries. In some cases, you may be able to seek punitive damages as well. These are usually meant to punish drunk drivers for their actions and deter others from driving while intoxicated.

RSS Feed